Built in 1913 by Andrews Construction, the Internet Exchange Building was one of the first buildings built using an innovative “mushroom” design for the columns. Studebaker Brothers manufacturing company was the first tenant in the building. Here Studebaker assembled horse-drawn buggies and shipped them to locations throughout the upper Midwest. Located in what is now the parking lot was a building where buggy whips were manufactured.
Other past tenants of this historic building include BF Goodrich, Gamble-Skogmo, and May Brothers Grocers.
There have been only three owners. From 1913-1949, the owner was S.T. McKnight. From 1949-1969 William Beamish owned the building. From 1969 to the present Gerald Steelman has been the owner and manager of this building.
For over 100 years, this Historical District was the heart of the Upper Midwest for manufacturing, printing, and warehousing. We here at the Internet Exchange Building are committed to maintaining this high quality loft office space for now and for the future.